Make your own free website on

January 1904 through December 1904

MARCH 4, 1904

                               DEATH CLAIMS THREE

  John L. Bradford, one of the pioneers of McLean county, died at his home in 
the south part of town Tuesday night. His death was caused from kidney
trouble, from which he had suffered for more than a year but, had been confined
to his bed only a few weeks.
  Mr. Bradford was born in Cambridge, Ohio, May 11, 1830. He came to Illinois in
1853, and settled in McLean county, and has resided in the county ever since.
He entered government land near here in 1853, and holds a deed to same
signed by president Franklin Pierce. In 1867 he bought the property just south of
town where he has since lived.
  He was married to Sarah H. Thompson, Oct. 18, 1860/ To this union were born
five children., four of whom are living, who with their mother, mourn the loss of a
kind father and husband. The living children are Richmond, Frank and Delle, of
Colfax, and John T., of Redlands, Cal. Mrs. Jennie Merrill died ten years ago. He
is also survived by one brother, Jas. Casper Bradford, of Kansas; and four
sisters as follows: Mrs. James Williams, Miss Jane Bradford and Miss Melissa
Bradford, of Colfax. Mrs. Ellen Rich, of Kansas, and five grand-children. The
deceased was an excellent citizen, upright, honorable, industrious, frugal in
habits, and has accumulated a very comfortable competency. He owned 240
acres of splendid land in this vicinity, a number of town lots, and other property. 
  He was for many years a member of the M.E. church, from which place the
funeral was held yesterday afternoon. Rev. John Scott, of Onarga, a former
pastor, assisted by Rev. Miller, conducted the services. Interment was in the
Wiley cemetery.

                                    William McClure

  Wm. McClure died at his home six miles southeast of Colfax Tuesday, from
spinal trouble, which cased creeping paralysis. He had been unable to do any
work for more than a year. He seemed to suffer no pain. The disease gradually
crept over him until his death relieved him. Deceased was born in Ireland 36
years ago. He came to this county when he was 14 years old and lived near here
a while. He moved to Nebraska and lived a sum of ??? years, returning to Colfax
ten years ago and has resided here ever since. Eight years ago he was married
to Miss Minnie Burnett. Two children were born of this union, aged 4 and 6
years, who, with his wife, survive him. Deceased did not possess much of this
world's goods, but was industrious, honorable, and was much respected by his
neighbors. The funeral was held yesterday at 11 am in the Christian church,
Rev. Baker, of Milford, conducting the services. Burial was in Wiley cemetery.

                                  Mary Adeline Du Bois

  As noted in our last issue, Grandma Du Bois, as she was familiarly known, did
at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J.A. Smith, in Anchor, Thursday, Feb. 25, of
stomach trouble.
  Mary Adeline Du Bois was born June 17, 1827, at Ficolett, Canada. She lived
beyond the allotted time, being past 77 years old. In 1846 she was married to
Bartholomew Du Bois, who preceded her in death two years. To this union eight
children were born, two are dead and six live to mourn her death. The living are
Mrs. J.A. Smith, of Anchor; Mrs. Mary Yeager, of Peoria; Mrs. Addie Worley, of
Iowa; Mrs. Minnie Maurice, of Peoria, Mrs. Millie Nelson, of Saybrook and
William of Colfax. 
  The deceased was for many years a member of the M.E. church and died in the
triumph of a living faith. She was a true Christian woman, always ready and
willing to lend a helping hand in time of sickness, had a kind word for every one,
and will be much missed in the community, missed by her family and her church.
The funeral was held Saturday at Anchor, in the M.E. church. The services were
conducted by Rev. J.L. Miller. The interment was in Prairie Chapel cemetery.

APRIL 22, 1904

- Mrs. Frank Hutson is sick with a severe case of tonsilitis. 

APRIL 29, 1904

- D.A. Wood has resigned his office as deputy sheriff and Frank Heagler has
been appointed to fill the vacancy.

JULY 1, 1904

- Vena Henline is sick with typhoid malaria fever.

- Jacob Kauth went to Chicago on business Saturday.

- Born, on Monday, to Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Phinney, a girl baby.

- Senator V.E. Howell, of Bloomington is gradually growing worse.

- Francis Henderson, of Chicago, is visiting his father, A.F. Henderson.

- Miss Edna Hatfield, of Normal, visited from Saturday to Monday with relatives.

- John Paxton had another severe attack of heart trouble Tuesday. He is some

- Roy Barnes, Leo Gaddis, Harry Arnold, Floyd Thompson, Earnest Henderson,
Roy Harris, James Wood, Earnest Hyatt and the Misses Hattie Waldo, Mable
and Blanch Harris, Lulu Howley, Fannie Fielding, Mable Statler, Lela Crouch
and Emily Douglass attended the imitation "Chinese Wedding" at Cropsey
Tuesday night.

- Mrs. D.T. Douglass, Mrs. John Vetter, Mrs. Curry, and J.A. Esler attended the
McLean County Sunday school Association at Chenoa Tuesday and

- Wm. Henline had a valuable cow killed by lightening in the storm Wednesday

- John Dameron and W.C. Mooberry have installed acetylene lighting plants in
their dwellings.

- W.C. Mooberry is remodeling and repainting his house on the Robertson farm
recently purchased by him.

- George Heberling came out from Bloomington and spent Sunday with his
brother in law, C.W. Minshall.

- L.W. Leonard, of Pawnee City, Mo. visited his cousin, Mrs. A.A. Chapman, and
other friends from Saturday to Monday.

- J.W. Puett turned the corner a little too fast the other night turning into his barn,
and consequently Ellis Watson has some fence to repair.

AUGUST 12, 1904

- W.A. Hays baby is sick with bilious trouble.

- Mrs. O.F. Neely is not so well as she has been for some time.

- Mrs. E.S. Horine went to Ambia, Ind., Tuesday, to visit friends.

- Ray Blasdel, of Pontiac, a former resident of Colfax, was in town yesterday.

- Mr. and Mrs. David Boone are the happy parents of a son, born Wednesday.

- Mrs. J.J. Wiley and sons Elmo and Delos, are spending the week at the St.
Louis fair.

- Ira Munson, of Scovel, and Walter Pendergast, of Barnes, spent Sunday in

- W.C. Mooberry returned Saturday from northwestern Iowa, where he was on

- Sterrett McClellan and Mrs. A.H. Cooper drove to Cooksville yesterday morning
and took the one o'clock train for Bloomington. It is the current report that they
went to Bloomington to get married and will be at Mr. McClellan's son Will's
south-east of town tonight where there will probably be a warm charivari. A full
account will be given in the next issue of the Press.

- Mr. and Mrs. Carlile Scott and daughters, Mildred and Miriam, and the Misses
Agnes and Lillie Compton attended the reunion of the Grand Prairie Seminary,
Tuesday in the Kankakee park. Mr. and Mrs. Scott are both graduates from the
Seminary, Mr. Scott from the literary department and Mrs. Scott from the
conservatory of music.

- Wm. Phinney's baby is sick with stomach trouble.

- Mrs. Nelson Biggs is sick with stomach trouble.

- Mrs. W.L. Jennings is quite sick with nervous trouble.

- Wm. Ridgeway's little Iva is sick with intestinal trouble.

- Ed Heagler, of Brace, Miss., visited his brother Frank Thursday.

- Jas. Davison's baby is very sick with stomach and bowel trouble.

- Telephones have put in for Mrs. Harve Abbott and Steve Daniels.

- Mine manager Frank Sysen spent Sunday with his family at Mr. Pulaski.

- Mrs. Hall's little girl is sick with summer complaint. Mrs. Hall is a sister of Mrs.
E.S. Lyons.

- Mrs. Pearl Hartled, of Shelbyville, visited her sister, Mrs. R.E. Meharry, Monday
and Tuesday.

- Mrs. Fowler's little girl is sick with stomach trouble. Josie Langstaff is sick with
malarial fever. 

- Mr. and Mrs. D.C. Thompson and Miss Marie Thompson visited over Sunday
with Dr. and Mrs. C.E. Shultz.

- Frank Hanks has purchased the Ed Murphy farm of 136 acres, two and
one-half miles south-west of Lexington. He expects to move on it March 1.

Mr. and Mrs. Hilda Lovelace went to Mackinaw Saturday, where they will spend
a week with friends. They will also visit in Peoria before returning.

- O.A. Hatch and W.O. Scurlock, have moved to Normal where they have
positions with the canning factory. They will probably move back after the
canning season is over.

- Alvin Pitts and Ed Osborn, of California, visited Tuesday and Wednesday at
the home of John R. Williams. The former is a cousin of Mrs. Williams. They
went from here to St. Louis Thursday, to attend the exposition.

- Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Grove, of LeRoy, drove over Sunday. Mr. Grove purchased
last week the house occupied by John Thiss and formerly owned by him, at the
chancery sale. He is employed in a general store at LeRoy.

- Mr. and Mrs. Ed Snyder, of Champaign, are spending the week with Mrs.
Snyder's grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. S.P. Waldo. Mrs. Snyder was formerly Miss
Fannie McNeer.

- Captain Mann, of Florida, visited with his niece Mrs. C.F. Corpe. Mr. Mann is
the father of congressman James R. Mann, of the second congressional district,
of Chicago.

- T.J. Hart, of Shirley, has rented the Douglass building and will open up a
general store about Aug. 15. He will live in Mrs. David Neil's house.

- Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Sharpless and son Roy, of Bloomington, came out Tuesday
and are visiting and looking after things on their farm.

- O.H. Crouch and family went to Shelbyville, where his family is visiting. He is in
the west on a land prospecting tour.

- Mrs. O.A. Means, of Pontiac, visited her daughter, Mrs. John R. Williams, from
Monday to Thursday.

- Mack Shultz and family have moved to Normal, where he has a position with a
canning factory.

- Dr. Henline and Scott Bunn returned from Indianapolis, Ind., Friday, where Mr.
Bunn had a surgical operation performed on his wrist.


                             DEATH SUMMONS FOUR

				Henry George

  Henry George, an old and respected resident of McLean county, died at his
home in Anchor Sunday afternoon. His death resulted from an attack of
pneumonia of short duration. He suffered a stroke of paralysis two years ago
and has been in delicate health and unable to speak since. Deceased was born
in Hiede, Holstein, Germany, 61 years ago, and came to this country when
young. He was married in 1865 to Miss Anna Schleeter, who with the following
children survive him: Mrs. L.W. Dauel, Bloomington; Mrs. Adolph Neische, Mrs.
Ed Reicks, Mrs. Hans Thedens, of Anchor, and John George, of Colfax. There is
one brother, C.F. George, of Heyworth. There are 25 grandchildren. The family
lived on a farm near Anchor until 12 years ago, when they moved into Anchor.
Mr. George was a member of the German Lutheran church, which he helped to
organize when he first moved to anchor township, from which place the funeral
was held Tuesday, conducted by Rev. A. Hahn. The interment was in the
German Lutheran burial ground southwest of Anchor. Mr. George was an
honorable, upright man and highly respected in the community in which he lived.


  M.V. Popejoy died at his home in Cropsey, Wednesday morning at 6 o'clock.
Mr. Popejoy had been in very poor health for the past year, having been troubled
with dropsy, which finally caused his death. He was born on the banks of the
Vermillion river, in Livingston county, and was 64 years old, having lived in that
county and McLean all his life. He is survived by his wife and five children, all of
whom live in and around Cropsey. The funeral will be held today at 10 a.m. at
the M.E. church.


  The little two year old son of Mr. and Mrs. John Boyer, former residents of
Colfax was killed Saturday morning near Chatsworth by a heavily loaded wagon
passing directly over the child's head. The wagon was loaded with bricks. Some
of the other children climbed on the wagon and it is thought that the little one
was trying to climb on when the wagon started and he fell under the wheel. Mr.
Boyer moved from the Henline land to Chatsworth last spring. Fred and Mr. and
Mrs. Nick Axen went to Chatsworth Saturday and the remains were brought to
Anchor Monday and buried in the German Lutheran cemetery.


  Dollie Marie, the little two months' old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Nordine,
died Tuesday morning of bronchitis, after a short illness. The funeral was held
from the home on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Short services were
conducted by Rev. J.L. Miller, after which the remains were laid to rest in the
Colfax cemetery.


  The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Gross, who reside six miles northwest of
town, died Sunday morning of cholera infantum. The funeral was held at Chenoa
Monday in the Catholic church.

                             Killed in Runaway

  James McKinney, of Saybrook, was thrown from his buggy Tuesday morning
and died from injuries sustained within an hour. Mr. McKinney was born in 1845
and had lived in and around Saybrook since 1867. He was a member of the
Masons and the Grand Army of the Republic. The funeral was held yesterday
morning, conducted by the Masons.

- Mrs. Jacob Lambert, of Bloomington came out Wednesday to visit her sister,
Mrs. Thomas Blair a few days.

                          Second Bunn Reunion

  The second annual reunion of the Bunn family was held at the home of Mr. and
Mrs. John Willson, south of town, Saturday. Niney guests assembled and after a
bountiful dinner such as the Bunn matrons know how to prepare, a musical
program was rendered, as follows: Music, Miss Gladys Horney, of Cooksville;
song, Miss Lucille Young, of Bloomington; duet, Mrs. Mae Hollis, of Gibson City,
and Kelso Powell, of Melvin; solo, Kelso Powell; instrumental solo of her own
composition, Mrs. Lydia Worrell. The program was interspersed with music by an
orchestra consisting of Messr Louis, Kelso, Shelby and Berry Powell and their
sister, mrs. Lydia Worrell, all of Melvin. This orchestra is considered one of the
best in central Illinois. Officers were elected for the following year. President
P.H. Faught, Gibson City; secretary-treasurer, Mrs. Iris J. Willson. The following
members of the family were present; Mr. and Mrs. P.H. Faught, Mrs. John Hollis,
Mrs. Sydney Gamble and son, Gibson City; Mr. and Mrs. William Powell, Mr. and
Mrs. Frank Bunn and daughters Lulu and Flossie, Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Thompson
and two sons, Tom and Wesley Willson, Mr. and Mrs. Shelby Powell, Mr. and
Mrs. Kelso Powell, Mrs. Lydia Worrell and son, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Powell,
Melvin; Mr. and Mrs. Minor Bunn, Mrs. John Mikel, Mr. and Mrs. George Young,
Lucille and Irene Young, Bloomington; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Smith, Mr. and Mrs.
Harry Smith, Mr. and Mrs. John Pickering and children, Mr. and Mrs. Lee
Hensley, Mr. and Mrs. D.A. Horney and children, Cooksville; Mrs. Nerra Hetland
and daughter, Fern, Spring Valley, S.D., Mr. and Mrs. C.W. James, Rev. James,
Normal; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Willhoite, Huet and Mertie Willhoite, Mrs. S. Ruth
Bunn, Mrs. Ruth A. Bunn, Mrs. Eva J. Cline, Mr. and Mrs. Scott Bunn, Mr. and
Mrs. A.M. Bunn and children, Mr. J.G. Paxton and daughters, Maude and Grace,

SEPTEMBER 16, 1904

- J.H. Paul of New York, and J.L. Douglas visited at F.W. Hanks Wednesday.
Mr. Paul is an uncle of Mrs. Hanks. He is manager of the produce exchange in
New York City.
- Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Garner returned from Fredericktown, MO., Wednesday,
where they have been visiting for two months. Mrs. Mollie Norton, a sister of Mr.
Garner came home with them.

- Mrs. D.A. Wood and daughter, Mabel, went to Blue Mound Tuesday, where Mr.
Wood has been for some time and where they will make their future home. Mrs.
Wood intended to go a week sooner but because of sickness she was unable to
leave. Mr. and Mrs. Wood were among the earlier settlers of Colfax and their
many friends wish them well in their new home.

- Mr. and Mrs. John Discho drove over to Eureka Sunday.

- J.P. Arnold was in Springfield Saturday on business.

- Mr. and Mrs. Ed Leaf went to Normal Friday.

- Mrs. Alma Beam died Sunday at her home near Chatsworth. Mrs. Beam was
formerly a Miss Weymer, daughter of J.W. Weymer, and was raised in Colfax.
WE are unable to give any particulars at these time, but will in our next issue.

- Mrs. Margaret Clark started Monday for Los Angeles, Cal., where she will
spend the winter with her daughter, Dr. Olive Clark, who is one of the faculty in
the Pacific School of Osteopathy. Mrs. J.P. Arnold accompanied her as far as

OCTOBER 21, 1904

- Roscoe Taylor, of Selma, moved last Monday from Selma to John Bridge's farm
near Colfax.

OCTOBER 28, 1904

                        Cunningham Left Letters

  Matt R. Cunningham, county recorder, as briefly noted in our last issue,
committed suicide a week ago yesterday afternoon, at 3 p.m. at his home 905
South Allin Street, in Bloomington by shooting himself in the head with a 32
caliber revolver. Mr. Cunningham went up town as usual Thursday morning and
performed his duties in his office. During the morning he received a visit from 
Mr. E.N. Gardner, who represented his bondsmen, and
who questioned Mr. Cunningham regarding a sum of $488.25 which was
charged up to him after his last report. He informed Mr. Cunningham that he
would expect him to produce the money by that afternoon. 
  Mr. Cunningham went home to dinner as usual, and during the noon hour he
remarked to his wife that it was a dreary day. He returned to his office shortly
after 1 o'clock, but left about 2 o'clock and went out on the street. He paid a visit
to his son, Dr. Cunningham, who has an office in the Livingston building, and
remained there until about 2:20, when he left. He arrived at his home shortly
before 3 o'clock, and when questioned by his wife regarding his coming home so
early in the afternoon, he informed her that he had a nervous chill. Mrs.
Cunningham procured a comforter and had him lie down on a davenport, she
took off his shoes and wrapped him up and then went to a neighbor and asked
her to go to the corner and telephone their son, Dr. Cunningham. Mrs.
Cunningham was gone but a moment and was not twenty feet away from the
house. While absent she thought she heard Mr. Cunningham call to her and
hastened back. Opening the door, she smelled powder and she saw her
husband had shot himself in the right temple. 
  The smoking revolver was lying at his right side. One of his hands, which
grasped the weapon, was outside the covering and he was lying on his side with
his face to the wall. Mrs. Cunningham was overcome with grief at the sight of her
bleeding husband...............
A panel viewed the remains and held the inquest in an adjoining room. 
  The only witness examined, beside Mr. Collison, who also served on the jury,
was Mrs. Cunningham, wife of the deceased. She stated that her husband came
home a few minutes before 3 o'clock, which was a very unusual occurrence. She
was surprised to see him and asked him what brought him home so soon, when
he answered that he was suffering with a nervous chill and was quite ill. She told
him to lie down on the couch and she would do what she could for him. She
wrapped him up in a comforter, after taking off his shoes and ran to get Mrs.
Jones to telephone for her son. 
  She was so overcome with grief that the question was limited, and aside from
the story told Mr. Collison, nothing else was brought out at the inquest.
  After deliberating a few minutes, the jury brought in a verdict that the deceased
came to his death by shooting himself through the head with suicidal intent.
  The first news of the sad tragedy was received in Colfax about 4 o'clock
Thursday afternoon by Z. Taylor, a brother-in-law of the deceased, from Dr. John
Cunningham. The news caused great excitement and sorrow here where he
lived so long and had been such a prominent figure.
  A letter was sent by the county officials to Mrs. Cunningham, Friday,
expressing their sympathy, in the following words:
  "The county officers of McLean county tender to you and your family their
sympathy in this dark hour of sorrow; and if in any way we can be of service to
you, command us. We who were associated with your beloved husband in
official life, loved him for his kind, courteous, manly ways. He was a gentleman
at all times and under all circumstances. At a time like this we have but little
worldly consolation to offer, but we commend you to the watchful care of Him
who has promised to be a father to the fatherless and friend to the widow." This
letter was signed by the circuit and county judges, the circuit clerk and county
clerk, the treasurer, the sheriff, the coroner, and the county surveyor. The letter
was conveyed to Mrs. Cunningham by Sheriff Edwards Friday afternoon. 
  The cause of the rash deed was, no doubt, caused by worry over the affairs of
his office; not so much from a small shortage, which there seems to be, but
because, as he said in a letter which was found after his death, "I have been
persecuted by some meddlesome person, whom I will not name, in regard to
some irregularities in office, which were some minor mistakes that could be
corrected without damage to any one."
  No one associated with Matt thought that he ever dreamed of such a thing as
suicide; but judging by letters found by his family Saturday morning, he had been
contemplating taking his own life for some time. Among his private papers in his
desk were found letters addressed to both the daily papers of Bloomington,
which he requests them to publish; also a letter to each member of his family.
The contents of the private letters are not made public, but it is known that one
gave minute directions about the funeral and disposal of the body.
  The family, desiring to comply with his wishes as far as possible, made several
changes in the funeral arrangements.
  The letter written for the press contains some indications that it had been
penned a year ago. It was dated at first, apparently Sept. 29, 1903, and the
month was then marked over with a heavier pencil and changed to March 20,
1904. Finally the date was changed in lead pencil to Sept. 20, 1904. It may have
been possible that the various changes in the date were made in a nervous
frame of mind just prior to his suicide, but such a theory does not seem probable.
As the letter was originally written, he states that he was 59 years of age, and
then this was rewritten 60. The letter, in full, is as follows, it being given by the
family in accordance with the wishes of its writer, as contained in the letter itself:
   "Bloomington, Ill., Sept. 20, 1904
   To My Friends of McLean County,
   Irrespective of Party:
  "I am almost 60 years old, lacking one month today. I have lived an upright life
and have always done as I wished to be done by. My honesty and upright
dealing were never questioned. I have always been charitable, so far as my
means would permit. I never would turn a tramp away without something to eat;
it's my mature, and I thank God for it.
  I served my country three years as a private soldier and was in many hard
fought battles, always ready for duty when called on, which records will show. I
never willfully wronged a man in my life.
  Now I want to say to my friends that I have been persecuted by some
meddlesome person, whom I will not name, in regard to some irregularities in
office, which were some minor mistakes that could be corrected without damage
to any one. Such mistakes have occurred with past recorders, and always will.
It's impossible to be perfect. I have taken a great pride in keeping the county
records in good shape, although I have had a great deal to contend with during
the past three years. Many of the records were badly mutilated by rough
handling the morning of the fire of June 19, 1900. I had many of them recovered
and the entire five hundred covered with canvas, which will prove a great saving
to the county. 
  I want the Pantagraph and Bulletin to please print this.
                                               Matt R. Cunningham
P.S. - I want to sincerely thank my friends of McLean county for their support and
friendship in the past, and I want to say to the present Board of Supervisors of
McLean county, and for all time to come, never allow a county officer to be
persecuted through the press by some meddlesome enemy before you
investigate, for the old saying is, "a lie will travel ten miles while the truth is
putting on its shoes."
  Matthew R. Cunningham was born on October 19, 1844, at Salem, Marion
county, Ill., consequently was just past 60 years old. At the age of 18 years he
enlisted in the United States service, June 11, 1861, in Company G,
Twenty-second Illinois Infantry, and served three years in the Army of the
Tennessee. He was engaged in great battles from Belmont to Atlanta. He was
married to Miss Josie Green, daughter of Hon. D.K. Green of Salem, March 7,
1866. In 1881, on account of droughts in Southern Illinois, he came north to look
up a location and while in this county selected Colfax for his home. Being a
Republican, he became quite active in township and county politics, and in 1896,
through the solicitation of his party friends, became a candidate for county
recorder, and was nominated and elected by one of the largest majorities ever
given to a county officer in McLean county. He then moved to Bloomington.
Besides his wife, he leaves three sons - Dr. John Cunningham of Bloomington,
Edward R., who is connected with the advertising department on the Santa Fe
Railroad, with headquarters in Chicago, and Scott G., one of the organizers of
the Carpenters' Union, with headquarters at Indianapolis. Mr. Cunningham also
leaves two sisters, Mrs. B.E. Martins of Salem and Mrs. Zach Taylor of Colfax.
He was a member of Remembrance Lodge No. 77, I.O.O.F. He was also a
woodman and was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. 
  The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from his Bloomington
residence, 905 South Allin street. The house was filled with sympathizing
friends, and the flowers that were heaped about the casket were many and
beautiful. The county officials attended in a body, and the expressions of
sadness were sincere and heard on all sides. Services were conducted by Rev.
J.H. Gilliland, and the ladies of the G.A.R. Circle were in charge. A quartet sang
"Lead, Kindly Light," "Holy City" and "Rock of Ages." At the grave services were
conducted by the G.A.R. The pall bearers were selected from among the county
officials, comrades of the G.A.R. Post, and members of the Ex-Prisoners of War,
of which Mr. Cunningham was a member. They were: James Smith, county
treasurer; James Elder, circuit clerk; C.W. Atkinson, deputy county clerk; and
Comrades J. Little, A.T. Ives, and A. Washburn.

NOVEMBER 4, 1904

                             TWO DEATHS

                        Pearlie Ricketts Lewis

 Mrs. Pearlie Lewis died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. Ricketts
Saturday morning, after  a complication of troubles of several months duration.
Pearlie Ricketts was born near Ellsworth, September 17, 1883. She moved with
her parents to Colfax in July of the following year and has resided here ever
since. She united with the Presbyterian church February 9, 1896. She withdrew
her membership from that church April 12, 1899, and united with the Christian
church, where she has since been a faithful member.
  She was married to Henry Lewis Jan. 15, 1902. To this union one child was
born, Eugene Freeman, who with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. N. Ricketts and one
brother, Harry Akhurst, who recently moved to Washington, survive her. The
funeral was held Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. at the Christian church, services
conducted by Rev. C.W. Dean, assisted by Rev. J.G. Curry, pastor of the
Presbyterian church. Interment was in the Wiley cemetery. The funeral was
largely attended, a testimony of respect from her many friends.

                           Guy William Smith

  The death of Guy Smith occurred Friday night at the home of his stepfather,
J.W. Henline, from inflammation of the bowels. He had been sick for some time
and suffered a great deal, which he bore patiently. Guy William Smith was the
son of Mr. and Mrs. W.B. Smith and was born in St. Clair, Missouri, April 27,
  After the death of his father in March 1901, the family came to McLean county
and have lived here ever since. Besides his mother, Mrs. J.W. Henline, he
leaves two sisters and four brothers to mourn his death. The funeral was held
Sunday at 1 p.m. at Evergreen church. Services in charge of Rev. Jackson, M.E.
pastor of Selma. Interment was in Evergreen cemetery. He was a kind hearted
child and was loved by his playmates.

- John Lorig has bought a new corn picking machine.

- Wm. Bradford, who was threatened with pneumonia, is better.

- The second daughter of August Speigle is sick with pneumonia.

- Dr. C.E. Shultz has a knife which is probably over a hundred years old and
which he prizes very highly. The knife was the property of his Grandfather
Haines on his mother's side, who was a carpenter. He was working on a barn
and fell from the barn dead and this knife was in his pocket. An aunt in Kansas 
City, who sent the knife to Mr. Shultz had it in her possession seventy

- Mr. and Mrs. N.A. Arnold entertained a party of friends Friday night in honor of
Mrs. Onie Strother. A very pleasant evening was spent in games and contest.
Mrs. L.H. Martin and Harry Arnold won the prizes. During the evening dainty
refreshments were served.

- Isaac Popejoy and Jack Edwards, of Colfax, have purchased of Mack Wick, the
meat market formerly known as the Kent market, and will open for business at

- C.H. Renz went to Chicago on business Tuesday.

- A.G. Leaf went to McLean yesterday on business.

- Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Cox went to Kempton Wednesday to visit Mr. Cox's

DECEMBER 23, 1904

                                TAKES HIS OWN LIFE

  Franklin M. Plott, a highly respected farmer, who lives two miles west of town,
committed suicide Tuesday morning by hanging himself. He had arisen at the
usual hour, started the fires in the house, called the family and went to the barn
to do the morning chores. When breakfast was ready he was called to come to
breakfast and not responding to the call as usual, his son Robert went to the
barn to see what was the matter and found his lifeless body hanging in the
driveway of the barn. The driveway is on the side of the barn with a shed
adjoining which is used for an oats bin. A mowing machine was stored in the
driveway, to the wheel of which he securely tied an inch rope; then climbed up
on top of the oats in the bin; putting the rope around one of the studding used for
the partition between the oats bin and the driveway; tied the rope in an ordinary
slip noose around his neck and jumped off. When his son found him he was
hanging with his back to the oats bin, his toes touching the ground.
  He probably died instantly as his neck was broken and his features showed no
signs of any struggle or suffering. Mr. Arch Harpole, who is the nearest neighbor,
was notified by telephone and went and assisted the family remove the body to
the house. Coroner Ruggless of Bloomington was notified and came out on the
5:40 train and held an inquest with the following jury; Foreman, P.B. Brown; J.C.
Thompson, S.P. Waldo, Jesse Smith, Jesse Meharry and J.A. Thompson.
  The coroners inquest brought out nothing new. Arch Harpole and several
members of the family were the only witnesses. Their testimony related
principally to the condition the body was in when found. After examining the
several witnesses the jury came to town and finished the inquest at the office of
Dr. Langstaff. The verdict of the jury was "that death was caused by hanging and
the deed committed while Mr. Plott was temporarily insane."
Franklin Michael Plott was born in Seneca county, Ohio, September 1845. He
became a soldier in the civil war at the early age of 16 and served three years
and nine months in the 9th Ohio cavalry. He came to Illinois in 1867, locating
near Towanda where in 1869 he was married to Miss Margaret Fincham who
survives him. They moved to the vicinity of Colfax in 1876 and since that time
have made this community their home. To their union were born seven children,
three sons and four daughters. Edgar, Robert, Lycurgus, Addie, Nellie, Grace
and Lillie. Edgar was accidentally shot while out hunting March 1st, 1891. The
four daughters and Robert are at home, Lycurgus is married and with his wife
and little daughter live 3 1/2 miles north of town. Deceased leaves three sister,
Mary Staples and Lizzie Kizer, South Bend, Ind., and Lucy Plott of Tiffin, Ohio,
also one brother named Henry, whose present address is unknown. 
  These members of the family together with a large circle of friends and
neighbors are left to mourn the loss of a loving husband, a kind and indulgent
father and an honest, useful neighbor. Mr. Plott became a member of the
Christian church in Colfax in 1891 and lived a faithful and christian life. 
  The funeral was held at the home yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. C.W.
Dean officiating as pastor. The services were simple and impressive. Interment
was in the Wiley cemetery.

DECEMBER 30, 1904

                                       Famous Old House

  The following history is taken from the Lexington Unit and was written by A.V.,
Pierson. The famous old house is located about seven miles north-west of
Colfax and many of our leaders have passed it scores of times, but probably
gave its early history little thought.
  Mrs. James S. Pierson has just completed a new residence on her farm, a half
mile east of Pleasant Hill. On the completion of the new house Mrs. Pierson had
the old dwelling house removed form the site it had occupied for more than
seventy-five years. This old house is one of the historic houses in our country. It
was built by John Patton in the Spring of 1829 and was the first house built by a
white man in Lexington township, and it had been used continuously as a
residence from the date of its building until its removal from its long resting place
a few days ago. John Patton, its builder, was the first white man to make his 
house in the present confines of Lexington township. Patton came from
Switzerland county, Ind., to what is now McLean county, in the fall of 1828,
settling near the Old Town timber, expecting to make that place his home. He
began to get out logs for a house, and the day for the raising was set, (this was
in November 1828.) The day set for the raising proved to be very stormy and so
it was postponed, in fact it never came off at all; as some Indian traders came
along and gave such glowing report of the Kickapoo town on the Mackinaw that
Patton determined to make that place his home, so he pulled up[ stakes and
started for the Mackinaw. As he had only about twenty miles to go he soon
reached his destination.
  He crossed the Mackinaw where the iron bridge is, just south of the Mt. Gilead
school house continuing on down that stream. He came to the Kickapoo town
and found everything as the traders had said, except the Indians were gone on a
visit (possibly to Indian grove) as the Indians of the two groves visited back and
forth. Patton finding them gone moved into two of the best pole cabins and set
up housekeeping; this was the 1st of March 1829. All went well until the Indians
returned and then there was trouble for Patton. The Indians, not being any more
civilized than some white people of the present generation, did not resort to the
courts, but laid judgment in their own hands and obtained service at once and
speedily pronounced Patton guilty of claim jumping and imposed the death
penalty. Patton demurred and the finding of the court, but being unable to prove
an alibi, his motion was promptly over-ruled, but he obtained a stay of
proceedings and improved the opportunity so well that his judges concluded he
was too valuable a man to be tomahawked, so reversed their decision and were
his firm friends while they remained on the Mackinaw.
  Patton was a little dried up man, very slow of speech, nothing about him to
attract attention except his dialect. Yet he was the most valuable man in the
settlement, being a mechanical genius, those who knew him best said he could
make anything from a husking peg to a saw mill. He certainly knew how to build
a house. He died in December 1854 and is buried in the Pleasant Hill cemetery.
  It is said that when this house was built, there was not another house between
it and Chicago. The Chicago of that time consisted of Fort Dearborn, a few
traders' cabins and some indian wigwams; Chicago not being incorporated until
1833 with a population of about one hundred and fifty. When this house was
built McLean county was not in existence, and Bloomington was inhabited, and
unknown. This old house is historic in its associations, not only being the first
house built in Lexington township, but it is possibly the only house standing in
our state that the Red men helped to build, there being more red that white men
at its raising. It is, also, the only house standing in our county, or possibly the
state, that was erected as a block house for defense against the Indians. Here in
the spring of 1830 was held the first election in Northern McLean county, and
under its roof men cast their votes for Andrew Jackson. The first judges of
elections were John Henline, John Patton and Conrad Flesher, all of them
strong Jackson men.
  John Patton being a devoted Methodist, his house was the home of the circuit
rider, and here was held the first religious services in our township. The first
class in the Methodist church being organized under his roof. Some fifty feet to
the north east of the old house, was where one of the Indians was put to death
by the leader of the tribe for drunkness. This Indian was very fond of his cups
and when drunk was very quarrelsome and dangerous. He was five three
warnings, disregarding these he was put to death by the tomahawk, because of
his vicious life. He was denied burial, his body after being securely wrapped in
skins was carried down in the horseshoe bottom along the Mackinaw, south of
Pleasant Hill on land now owned by Claggett Brothers, and was securely
fastened in the top of a large walnut tree.
  There were two huge fire places, one in each end of the houses. These fire
places were seven feet across and their capacity for the consumption of wood
was only limited by the supply, and if I have any skill at all with the axe, I give
credit to those fire places. On each side of the jams were built great walnut
cupboards that reached from floor to ceiling.
  This house has stood for seventy-five years and I know of no reason why, with
proper care it should not stand for generations to come, as its timbers are as
sound as when put there by its builders when out state was young.
  George Henline, a companion in arms of Boone and Kenton, and a survivor of
the disasterous battle of Blue Licks, which was fought in Kentucky, August 16,
1782, and under whose direction Fort Henline was built in the year 1831, was of
the ten white men and boys who were present and assisted at the raising of this
old house. 
  This probably is the only house in our country under whose roof were
entertained men who fought in the American Revolution.

Excerpts from the Colfax Leader: 1890 through 1891
Excerpts from the Colfax Leader: February 1892 through June 1892
Excerpts from the Colfax Leader: August 1892 through December 1892
Excerpts from the Colfax Leader: January 1893 through December 1893
Excerpts from the Colfax Leader: January 1894 through December 1894
Excerpts from the Colfax Leader: January 1895 through December 1895
Excerpts from the Colfax Leader: January 1896 through October 1896
Excerpts from the Colfax Leader & Colfax Press: February 1897 through December 1897
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1898 through December 1898
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1899 through December 1899
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1900 through December 1900
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1901 through December 1901
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1902 through December 1902
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1903 through December 1903
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1904 through December 1904
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1905 through December 1905
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1906 through December 1906
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1907 through December 1907
Excerpts from the Colfax Press: January 1908 through December 1908
Back to Bits and Pieces: